Friday 4 February 2011

Valentine's Day


So the day is nearly upon us and decorations are springing up in card shops and restaurants.
I have no problem with this day - when I am in a relationship - but when you are single it becomes something to dread.
You can be perfectly happy being single for 364 days of the year but on February 14 it becomes an issue that you are single and everyone seems to be pointing it out to you.
For example I was out shopping the other day and I was buying a drink from WHSmith and as I collected my receipt the cashier (who was just doing her job I know) informed me that they were offering 20% off Valentine's Day cards.
I smiled and took the voucher gracefully but all I wanted to do was shout at her that for the third year running I would not need to buy a Valentine's Day card as I would not be sending one nor receiving one and I would be avoiding everything about this day.
Another example was as I was making small talk with a colleague at work she asked me if I had any plans for Valentine's Day and when I replied with "probably sit on my own in a dark room watching girly films" she replied with "oh, do you not have a boyfriend?"
No I don't have a boyfriend so as a single girl I am going to share with you the 10 rules of a single girl's Valentine's Day as published in Cosmopolitan magazine.
1. Go for a splurge in Topshop - buying exactly what you want instead of spending a fortune on 'I wuv you' presents.
2. However mushy you're feeling don't text the ex. Repeat after me, you're better off without him.
3. Hit the town. Single men + single women = guaranteed fun.
4. Your colleague may have got flowers but she also gets dirty boxers left on the floor and Match of the Day.
5, Don't do a Rachel, Monica and Phoebe from Friends and hold a memento bonfire. It's one to get rid of his love letters but it's not worth the risk of seeing your flat go up in smoke.
6. Feeling bitter about your coupled up friends doesn't make you a bad friend - just this once anyway.
7. Do a 'best friend' date. But beware of over-inflated prices, crammed in tables and couples feeding each other oysters.
8. Make this the night you sign up for online dating. Seeing the 'winks' flood in will give you a real ego boost.
9. Remember that all Valentine's Day cards count. Even if they are from Dad to his 'princess'.
10. Gather your girls and indulge in a Sex and the City marathon. Just because you can.

No comments: