Sunday 12 December 2010

Taking a friendship to the next level

Picture this: you have been friends with someone for a long time and you slowly start to develop feelings for them.
What do you do? Do you take the plunge and start up a relationship or do you keep things the way they are?
If you do take the plunge what happens if it doesn't work out? Then not only have you lost a partner but also a friend. And what will that mean for your mutual friends?
But if you are already good friends then you already know that you get along so there is a good chance of you being able to make it as a couple.
Or you could keep things as they are and stay as friends but then there is always going to be your underlying feelings.
I think this could be one of the most difficult decisions to make.
Have you ever been faced with this dilemma? What would you do?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Long time reader, first time 'responder' - I hardly ever respond to things I've seen on the internet, however this is personal.

Trust me on this "Shoulda, woulda, coulda" are the last words of a fool.
Tell him (or her?!) You never know what's around the corner, if you miss a chance to tell them you'll never forgive yourself. It's likely the other person feels exactly the same as you and is also afraid of rejection/making things awkward. Whats the worst that could happen? If you're freind does feel the same it will probably be the best thing you ever do! If you're freinds now (and have been for some time) then whatever the outcome you will both be ok and stay freinds! You owe it to you're self to find out!

I was once in a similar position to you and my friend was involved in an accident and sadly died. I never got to let them know how I felt, 12 years later I have a partner now, but I dont think I'll ever shed the regret of not making my feelings known.

Shelley said...

Thank you so much for leaving such a personal comment and I will take your advice on board. Thank you for taking the time to read my ramblings! And I hope you continue to read it and enjoy it.

Anonymous said...

Whilst I can understand why anonymous posted that may I also offer some personal advice? Dont do anything unless you know for certain he/she feels the same way about you! You may think it's hard to tell but if he/she likes you you'd know. The chances are if he/she hasn't said anything by now then it may only be you feeling like this.
I had my heart broken by a friend. We would sometimes kiss when we were on our own but then nothing would ever come of it. This carried on for 2 years until I finally realised that if he really liked me he'd make a proper effort! I don't know your situation maybe it's different but please dont make the same mistake